5 Things You Must Do To Have a Safe Journey With Your Baby
Soon the time to be out with your baby?
If you want everything to go well for your young passenger while you are driving, and at the same time spare you some tears, crises, vomit surprise and other rejoicings of this kind, the lines that follow are for you. A car trip with baby should and can remain a fun part for the whole family when traveling. All you have to do is immerse yourself in the advice gathered in this article.
This is everything concerning the preparation of the trip by car before the day of departure.
What you will read here, includes all that you will need on the day of travel, throughout your journey by car with baby.
For this purpose, we will distinguish 5 main stages and tips for driving safely with a baby on board:
- Luggage Loading and Last Checks
- Passenger installation and departure with baby
- In car with baby: precautions to consider
- During the ride: caring for your baby
- Avoiding and managing baby’s heart sickness on the road
1.- Luggage Loading and Last Checks
Better to load and check the car a little ahead and without baby. This allows the whole family to embark more quickly, without stress, and without the risk of waiting in the rain or in the cold. To do this, you have to plan the necessary time, and possibly build up a little routine so as not to forget anything. It is also good to inform the person who stays with the baby of the time necessary to make these preparations and to take a sufficient margin, especially if there are time constraints to respect.
It is important that the baby does not feel too much stress from his parents before departure, during the last preparations. Ideally you will have taken care to prepare your luggage and all car accessories for family safety and comfort when driving / traveling (toys, snacks, organizer, cooler, bottles, car window sun shades, etc) needed to carry inside cabin, at least the day before to avoid any precipitation.
As for loading luggage, the heavier luggage should ideally be loaded before the others so as to be lower in the trunk. In case you are trying to leave the stroller and the suitcase that contains the baby’s things (clothing, extra toys, cushion …) available, you will also have to keep everything it normally takes for baby or kid directly in the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
Final preparations and checks:
- No warning lights on the dashboard that remain lit after starting the car.
- “Baby on board” sign well placed on the back of the vehicle.
- Good positioning the baby or infant: Ensure you have checked that your baby has sit properly before you ignite the car.
- No objects on the back of the vehicle that could turn into dangerous projectiles in case of sudden braking or accident.
- Defrosting and clearing the vehicle if necessary.
- If it gets cold, you start to warm up the interior of the vehicle.
- If it’s hot, you air or a little air conditioning to start lowering the temperature.
- If the vehicle was parked a little far from the house, it is brought as close as possible to the home to facilitate the embarkation of the family.
- Now that the car is ready, the whole family will be able to board safely.
2.- Passenger installation and departure with baby and/or children
A good baby setup and a good start are a key to a quiet trip afterwards.
Three points of attention in particular should be noted:
- The installation itself must be done in a gentle and playful way: it is better to take two or three minutes more than to install it in the precipitation that often leads to some clumsiness.
- The physical comfort of the baby: the baby must be tightly fastened in his car seat or his pod, but not too tight, well dressed but not too warmly, with sufficiently ample and comfortable clothes. It avoids buttonholes in the back and rigid materials such as jeans. He takes off his shoes, and if he is not too hot, he is left in socks or slippers. Care must be taken that a ventilation grille does not blow too hard on it. For keeping the baby well protected of sun, insects and air, remember to use blockout back windows sunshades. We keep a small sweater or a blanket handy if necessary during the ride.
- The psychological comfort of the baby: tensions and annoyance at the time of departure are unfortunately commonplace in families. We leave a little later than expected, either monsieur or madame has been too long to prepare, or has not participated in the preparations as much as the other parent would have liked … no matter your reasons for engouirlander, it is always better to calm the game at the time of departure. Baby is sensitive from an early age, with the emotional and emotional climate around him.
The comfort and psychological well-being of the child are at least as important as its physical comfort. It is therefore important to make an effort first of all on oneself to avoid disputes, reproaches, sulking, and indelicate words. If you absolutely must have explanations between adults, it may well wait a little later, when baby will sleep. Often, things go naturally in order when the pressure of departure decreases and the landscape begins to pass. (The management of tensions and conflicts in the couple is however a complex subject, that you may need to deepen, if you feel the need and problems persist between you during your departures.) … / ..